Each year The Alliance for Health Equity selects and awards Nursing Scholarships on behalf of generous donors. Despite the challenges of the pandemic, 11 students received Nursing Scholarships to support their studies at various local educational institutions. These Nursing Scholarships attenuate the financial burden of obtaining a degree and offer opportunities for more students to graduate with a degree in nursing.
Like the pandemic, students were unable to complete their studies in person and were forced to adapt to virtual learning. Similarly, the in person annual Nursing Scholarship ceremonial breakfast was cancelled and all recipients provided videos expressing their gratitude and personal thanks for receiving a scholarship.
The adjustments that students endured during 2020 and 2021 was never before seen by any university student. The 2021 Nursing Scholarship Recipients who have demonstrated great tenacity during this unprecedented year are listed below:
- Emily Cosgrove: The Alumni Association Award and the Margaret Barnes Award
- Rebecca Edgington: The James L., and Miquette M. Cox Nursing Scholarship
- Alexis Gavina: The James L., and Miquette M. Cox Nursing Scholarship
- Emily Helms: Doris Cumber Memorial Award and Myrtle Harvey Award
- Gisselle Hernandez: The James L., and Miquette M. Cox Nursing Scholarship
- Julianna Jones: The James L., and Miquette M. Cox Nursing Scholarship
- Ashley Jordan: The Martha and Duane Bohlayer Nursing Scholarship
- Lara Lopez: The James L., and Miquette M. Cox Nursing Scholarship
- Juan Morales: The Martha and Duane Bohlayer Nursing Scholarship
- Sarah Rode: The Coatesville Athletic Association Scholarship
- Jessica Wright: The Gunard Berry Carlson Scholarship Award
The Alliance for Health Equity has awarded substantial nursing scholarships to regional students since 2001. Scholarships were presented in partnership to students enrolled at West Chester University’s School of Nursing, Immaculata University’s Division of Nursing, or the Chester County Intermediate Unit’s Practical Nursing Program. The Nursing Scholarships are presented to encourage more students on the frontline as they pursue their nursing degree and offer a bridge for students to work in the Greater Coatesville serving to protect and enhance the health of our community. The Alliance for Health Equity congratulates all recipients for their determination to further the mission to advance a healthy Greater Coatesville Community.
The Alliance for Health Equity’s mission is to advance a more equitable, resilient, and healthy Greater Coatesville community. To learn more about The Alliance for Health Equity please visit their website at www.alliancehealthequity.org.